Reply to this topicStart new topic
left > My circular breathing technique seperator Options V right
Ondřej
post Jul 14 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,347

Hello again,
I have been working on circular breathing for a month and I've developed new technique how to do it. Can I post it here?

Thank you
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Duduk
post Jul 16 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #2

I have Lit My Candles
Group Icon

Group: Founder
Member No.: 2

Welcome to Duduk forum

new technique how to do it ?? would love to see it smile.gif

--------------------
...: :...Powered by Apricot Juice ...: :...
+Quote Post
Ondřej
post Jul 17 2010, 05:10 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,347

Well it's not "how to do it" but "how to learn it", sorry for the inconvenience. sad.gif

Circular breathing, as I learned from one site - procedure involves four distinct stages:

1. As the performer begins to run low on air, the cheeks are puffed.
2. Air from the cheeks is pushed with the cheek muscles through the instrument and used to maintain the sound while inhalation occurs through the nose.
3. As the air decreases in the cheeks and sufficient air is brought into the lungs through the nose, the soft palate closes and air is again used from the lungs.
4. The cheeks are brought back to their normal embouchure position.

This procedure is done in 5 steps:
1. Puff the cheeks and breath normally with the cheeks out. This will aid in the "feel" of breathing with the cheeks extended.
2. Again puff the cheeks and create a small aperture in the lips, letting air escape through the lips while inhaling and exhaling normally through the nose. By controlling the muscles in the cheeks, try to maintain an air stream for three to five seconds.
3. Place a straw in a glass of water and repeat step two with the straw in the water. Sufficient air should be used to force air from the straw to create bubbles in the water. This step should be repeated many times until the process feels somewhat natural.
4. While the air is being forced from the cheeks, inhale quickly and deeply through the nose. While the cheeks are still slightly puffed, begin to exhale through the mouth and empty the lungs. Try to keep the air stream and bubbles as constant and even as possible. Repeat several times.
5. Repeat step four but do not empty the lungs. As the lungs begin to empty again puff the cheeks, inhale quickly and deeply through the nose. After a small amount of air has been inhaled, close the soft palate and "switch back" to air used from the lungs. Repeat several times. This is the process that is used while circular breathing.
Source: http://www.woodwind.org/clarinet/Study/Cir...rBreathing.html

And now about my technique. I replaced the straw with a plastic hose, which allows me control the current that is blown from lungs.
My exercise, performed 3 times a day, consist of three steps:

First – I put the glass to the floor, insert the hose to upright position. Then I try to suck up water from glass using only the lungs (not the cheeks). I repeat this approximately 12 times. This actually prepares me for next step.

Second – Circular breathing itself – Starting with low current and high pressure, until I get into it. Then, by releasing the hose a little more, I set maximum possible current, which I can handle easily. I place the end of the hose near the water surface to monitor the current and the fluency. Keeping doing this for 1 minute, then blow the additional wind out. Again, I repeat this step approximately 8 times.

Third (optional)– „Blowing out to death“ - don't do it in first week!
- This step is about blowing everything from the lungs using low or medium current. Place the hose to glass and keep doing small bubbles until you're out of oxygen. If you start to blackout, immedately stop doing it. This step is mostly dangerous, but could help to increase your breath capacity.

You can see some results in a week. wink.gif
Then try to apply this on Duduk, try to play only the higher notes from the beginning (mostly easier to play) and use soft reed. If you can do it fluently, try playing deeper notes and then replace the reed with medium one.

If you are wondering what song to play, I have something smile.gif :
Drifting Onwards – no percussion version
Drifting Onwards – with percussion

There are 32 measures where you can play dam. Starting with E (cover all 10 holes on your A-Duduk for E2 or cover only first three holes for E3) then the bass moves to G (cover 8 and half of the ninth hole).

Well, it is not traditional Armenian song and it is surely even not similar biggrin.gif , but it could help, maybe. You can learn the song tempo on the second „with percussion“ version.

I will transpose it also for D, C, Bb duduks in near future as well as I release some video of this technique, so you can understand it better, because it is hard to explain in words.

Good Luck!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:32 AM

popOrange © 2005 Orange Pop Design, Skin by Chris Y