left logo_right

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
left > Can't Make a Sound, Beginner requests help with playing with a reed seperator Options V right
Marji
post Jul 31 2007, 08:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,088

unsure.gif

I just purchased a very nice duduk (unfortunately before I found duduk.com :-( and though I have extensive experience with non-reed instruments (recorders and Native American Flutes) and a bit of experience with the flute (and thus an embouchure) I have *no* experience with a reed. I have downloaded and printed the instructions from Duduk.com but still find all intructions lacking on how to actually produce a sound with a reed. Can I, similar to with a flute, practice my reed technique with just the reed? Will blowing though just a reed make a sound or does it need to be connected to the (rest of the) duduk?

My duduk is a 3-part (curved upper windway), A-bass instrument with 6 holes on the front, one on the upper back and two on the bottom back. It is made from seasoned apricot by Karen Hakobyan. I'm fairly confident that it is a decent quality insturment but thus far have not been able to get it to make a sound—which I am *certain* is due to my inabilities with the reed(s). (3 reeds made for and tuned for this particular duduk) were included.

Any help for an rank beginner would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Marji
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
El Catalan
post Jul 31 2007, 02:14 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,788

I took the reed by itself and placed it in my mouth, with the lips placed over my teeth
and gently "squeezing like" the reed itself while blowing with enough breath support
(like when singing) and enough air flow to get a solid note, like if you have an A duduk, then your reed should sound a solid C, and try not to bite or blow so hard that you stay sharp, he-he.
This forum has been very very helpful, and I appreciate the expertise of all the other "senior players" of this great duduk forum. Do not hesitate to e-mail Movses, in the duduk.com home page customer service section, he is very prompt to reply and always very very helpful.
Regards and wulcome! El Catalan smile.gif
QUOTE(Marji @ Jul 31 2007, 08:04 AM) *

unsure.gif

I just purchased a very nice duduk (unfortunately before I found duduk.com :-( and though I have extensive experience with non-reed instruments (recorders and Native American Flutes) and a bit of experience with the flute (and thus an embouchure) I have *no* experience with a reed. I have downloaded and printed the instructions from Duduk.com but still find all intructions lacking on how to actually produce a sound with a reed. Can I, similar to with a flute, practice my reed technique with just the reed? Will blowing though just a reed make a sound or does it need to be connected to the (rest of the) duduk?

My duduk is a 3-part (curved upper windway), A-bass instrument with 6 holes on the front, one on the upper back and two on the bottom back. It is made from seasoned apricot by Karen Hakobyan. I'm fairly confident that it is a decent quality insturment but thus far have not been able to get it to make a sound—which I am *certain* is due to my inabilities with the reed(s). (3 reeds made for and tuned for this particular duduk) were included.

Any help for an rank beginner would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Marji

+Quote Post
Marji
post Jul 31 2007, 04:28 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,088

Thanks for the tips. I'll try them out and let you know if I get a sound. It's a new day here in Wyoming and I'm hopeful :-)
+Quote Post
Duduk
post Jul 31 2007, 05:30 PM
Post #4

I have Lit My Candles
Group Icon

Group: Founder
Member No.: 2

Hello Marji and welcome to duduk forum
looks like you have a reed "problem" - sorry i don;t know the quality of your duduk - and i don;t wish to talk about the "master" who makes them
yes start w/ just the reed / if you can make a study / continues sound then place the reed on to your duduk
it's ideal to start playing / breaking in to reeds wan it's on the duduk - but since this is your #1 duduk - and you have no experience what soever on haw to play - start w/ just the reed

now - Bass duduk is a wrong choice for a #1 duduk / it's the duduk that many will get at last

Also for it to sound good - you need a extra soft reed

you need to see http://www.duduk.com/forums/index.php?s=&a...dpost&p=253

on ha to start using a new reed

MOses

--------------------
...: :...Powered by Apricot Juice ...: :...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:54 AM

popOrange © 2005 Orange Pop Design, Skin by Chris Y