Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
left > What to do when the reed opens too much?! seperator Options V right
Flamenco Guy
post Nov 23 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,199

Hi guys, what a wonderful site... Thanks to everyone keeping it alive and giving this beautiful instrument and us the chance to explore, experience and learn....

I'm new to the world of Duduk, however not new to the world of music, singing and music production. I play many instruments including, soprano sax, and clarinet.

I got this "Souvenir" eBay Duduk thing few days ago, and it's been a struggle unsure.gif
however, one should never stop so till i decide to get a new reed or a duduck from duduk.com, i have this question.

How to control the reed when it opens too much? I tried many reeds and all tend to give me the same result... they open too much. Opening the reed was so easy, but how should one control or limit the opening?

Cheers

Beshar
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Duduk
post Nov 24 2008, 05:54 PM
Post #2

I have Lit My Candles
Group Icon

Group: Founder
Member No.: 2

Hello

can you please tell me How you opening the reed ??

--------------------
...: :...Powered by Apricot Juice ...: :...
+Quote Post
Flamenco Guy
post Nov 24 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Duduk @ Nov 24 2008, 06:54 PM) *

Hello

can you please tell me How you opening the reed ??

Hi,

Either by putting some water inside, shake it and then blow the water out and put the closing cap on.then wait for 10 min. Or i blow some warm air while add some moist from my mouth! In either cases it opens fast and easy, but as soon as i try to play ... it is over .....

Does it have to do with the reed quality? Or my experience? All?

Cheers

Beshar
+Quote Post
hrimnir
post Nov 25 2008, 10:42 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,186

Just a question. Do You have the briddle or loop to regulate the opening and pitch, on ??
best regards Hrimnir
+Quote Post
Flamenco Guy
post Nov 25 2008, 11:05 AM
Post #5

Yes i do, and it does not seem to have an effect! Even when pushed ...
+Quote Post
Duduk
post Nov 25 2008, 07:40 PM
Post #6

I have Lit My Candles
Group Icon

QUOTE(Flamenco Guy @ Nov 24 2008, 07:10 PM) *

Hi,

Either by putting some water inside, shake it and then blow the water out and put the closing cap on.then wait for 10 min. Or i blow some warm air while add some moist from my mouth! In either cases it opens fast and easy, but as soon as i try to play ... it is over .....

Does it have to do with the reed quality? Or my experience? All?
Cheers

Beshar

i guess it's the reed - if your doing the way you have posted, just don't wait 10 min.. play wan you see an opening

all it take's is over-moist the reed one time and that reed might never be normal, so from the first day, do not over-moist your reed'

--------------------
+Quote Post
Flamenco Guy
post Nov 25 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Duduk @ Nov 25 2008, 08:40 PM) *

i guess it's the reed - if your doing the way you have posted, just don't wait 10 min.. play wan you see an opening

all it take's is over-moist the reed one time and that reed might never be normal, so from the first day, do not over-moist your reed'

Thanks Moses, I'll definitely will invest in one good reed and maybe even a Duduk from you guys!
But what about the "over moist" ? would that not be a "natural" process after playing? It will happen due to blowing! Shall i consider this to be a character of the instrument? And how about developing a mechanical device that can control the opening of the reed?
I have noticed that if i just reduce the gap by pressing the reed a bit with my index finger and thumb, the sound change dramatically and i can simply produce the sound with ease!

Cheers

Beshar

+Quote Post
Duduk
post Dec 23 2008, 09:30 PM
Post #8

I have Lit My Candles
Group Icon

QUOTE(Flamenco Guy @ Nov 25 2008, 11:05 PM) *

Thanks Moses, I'll definitely will invest in one good reed and maybe even a Duduk from you guys!
But what about the "over moist" ? would that not be a "natural" process after playing? It will happen due to blowing! Shall i consider this to be a character of the instrument? And how about developing a mechanical device that can control the opening of the reed?
I have noticed that if i just reduce the gap by pressing the reed a bit with my index finger and thumb, the sound change dramatically and i can simply produce the sound with ease!
Cheers

Beshar

yes it is somewhat "natural" process, wan playing your reed will open, then you can adjust and close the reed or adjust and open more, each reed will respond differently

developing a mechanical device that can control the opening of the reed

Hmmmmm smile.gif it would be nice smile.gif but it will effect the sound for sure if it's touching the reed all the time, just for example, if you place an rubber band on your reed you will see haw much it will change the sound..

can't you use the "bend" bridle instead ?? to adjust the opening ??
Also Remember to always loosen the bridle make sure it's free and it's not pressing on to your reed at all, and keep the closing cap on when they are not being played.
it will sure help you to control your wan playing

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:54 PM

popOrange © 2005 Orange Pop Design, Skin by Chris Y