left logo_right

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
left > Two soft reeds, with completely different sounds?, reed crazyness seperator Options V right
Goodha2
post Oct 20 2008, 02:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,192

Hey all! Spencer here, I recently purchased i wonderful A-Duduk from Duduk.com with two pro soft reeds from duduk.com also

I was wondering what everyone thought - One reed is very very easy to play, i can play low notes with absolutely no problem, and sustain for quite some time. (max 13 seconds on one breath) But its buzzy, it sounds kind of like a saxophone. It has a nasal kind of quality. the aperture isnt the issue

the other reed is extremely difficult to play, and i can barely sound more than 7 fingers pressed down. The air does not pass easily through the reed, there is a good amount of resistance. again, the aperture is not the issue.l However, i get an EXTREMELY beautiful warm sound from the notes i can sound. I am sure that this is how i want it to sound. Also, there is a slight hiss of air that sounds when i play that reed. No matter to me though, i use it for recording and have ways to make it completely disappear.

what do you think this all means? i wish the reed with the beautiful sound were easier to play, and the easy reed sounded less buzzy. I did notice that the end of the reed that goes into the duduk is slight warped, but im not sure if that matters. Is there something wrong with my reeds? If you would like i can post recordings of the two reeds but it could take a couple minutes.

thank you so much! And by the way, I will be featuring a duduk from Duduk.com in a performance at my conservatory in Miami. It will be accompanied by guitar, and orchestra. There should be around 1,500 people there and I will be sure to let everyone know where i got it! thanks Moses

-Spence
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Duduk
post Oct 20 2008, 04:22 AM
Post #2

I have Lit My Candles
Group Icon

Group: Founder
Member No.: 2

Hello Spence and welcome to Duduk forum

i'l be at the shop 10am to 4pm please gave me a call, typing is a bit of an problem for me at this moment.
your "problem" is sooooo easy to correct

before you call me see Reeds and reed corrections have that page open

--------------------
...: :...Powered by Apricot Juice ...: :...
+Quote Post
Goodha2
post Oct 20 2008, 05:13 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Duduk @ Oct 20 2008, 12:22 AM) *

Hello Spence and welcome to Duduk forum

i'l be at the shop 10am to 4pm please gave me a call, typing is a bit of an problem for me at this moment.
your "problem" is sooooo easy to correct

before you call me see Reeds and reed corrections have that page open

Thanks Moses... oooh how i wish you could elaborate a little its killing me lol

I looked at the page, and I tried twisting the reeds it hasnt seemed to help maybe i did it wrong tongue.gif

ill call you tomorrow, i think if your in california then you are 6 hours behind me in miami... alright then

spence
+Quote Post
Goodha2
post Oct 21 2008, 12:43 AM
Post #4

So does any one have any ideas? I wasnt able to call and im going crazy trying to figure this out

-spence
+Quote Post
RonsMusic76
post Oct 21 2008, 04:04 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,177

Did you check the link he suggested? If he suggested that page then it probably involves the angle of the reeds coming together. If they meet at too wide of an angle it makes it harder to get the optimal sound. The link has pictures on how to condition your reeds to stay at the good, tighter angle. And my soft reed buzzes a bit too but only if I try and play at too high a volume when the reed isn't warmed up enough or open enough. I think that's part of the trade-off for soft reeds over medium/hard reeds though too...easier to play but not as warm a sound. I don't run into that on my mediums except at much higher volumes, though my lips get tired much quicker!

And thanks again for my Bb Duduk, Movses! It plays wonderfully!

- Ron

--------------------
- Ron
========================
My music on Facebook
My videos on YouTube
========================
+Quote Post
Goodha2
post Oct 23 2008, 01:45 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(RonsMusic76 @ Oct 21 2008, 12:04 PM) *

Did you check the link he suggested? If he suggested that page then it probably involves the angle of the reeds coming together. If they meet at too wide of an angle it makes it harder to get the optimal sound. The link has pictures on how to condition your reeds to stay at the good, tighter angle. And my soft reed buzzes a bit too but only if I try and play at too high a volume when the reed isn't warmed up enough or open enough. I think that's part of the trade-off for soft reeds over medium/hard reeds though too...easier to play but not as warm a sound. I don't run into that on my mediums except at much higher volumes, though my lips get tired much quicker!

And thanks again for my Bb Duduk, Movses! It plays wonderfully!

- Ron

Hey thanks Ron, I've been massaging and coaxing this reed for a bit, and its slooowly getting easier to play although i think its just slightly warped... all well and good though guess it needs care for

This is my first Duduk and i figured i should start on soft reeds, but I think it might be better to try a medium reed to build strength and get a better sound if everyone agrees about that

thanks
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:52 AM

popOrange © 2005 Orange Pop Design, Skin by Chris Y