Reply to this topicStart new topic
left > Duduk - not too expensive seperator Options V right
KnightSquared
post Dec 20 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,404

Thank you for activating my account.

I was recently told by Moses that I had bought a Turkish Mey, which does indeed sound completely different. I am very angry.

I don't have much money, I think the most at this time that I could spend on a Duduk would be $100.

I am upset that there aren't some fairly good cheap ones for beginners. Needless to say you don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on something you can't master.

Anyway, I have found one guy selling some cheaper Duduks here...

http://duduk-armenian.tripod.com/id1.html

He even says they are endorsed by internationally renowned Armenian dudukist Gevorg Dabaghyan.

Any opinions or advice?

Many thanks.

--------------------
Simon
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hrimnir
post Dec 21 2010, 09:33 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,186

QUOTE(KnightSquared @ Dec 20 2010, 10:09 PM) *

Thank you for activating my account.

I was recently told by Moses that I had bought a Turkish Mey, which does indeed sound completely different. I am very angry.

I don't have much money, I think the most at this time that I could spend on a Duduk would be $100.

I am upset that there aren't some fairly good cheap ones for beginners. Needless to say you don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on something you can't master.

Anyway, I have found one guy selling some cheaper Duduks here...

http://duduk-armenian.tripod.com/id1.html

He even says they are endorsed by internationally renowned Armenian dudukist Gevorg Dabaghyan.

Any opinions or advice?

Many thanks.

Hi.

It is always sad to buy something, which are sold as armenian duduks, it happens quite often. There is nothing wrong with the turkish Mey, but it is a quite different instrument.

The reseller you mentioned above, is quite reliabel, it is Mr. Vache Sharafyan, one of Armenians most famous contemporary composers. Beside this, he runs Mr. Gevorg Dabaghyans affairs, since Gevorg D. does not speak very good english.
The duduks are OK, and in exellent quality, so are the reeds. I can only recommend you to buy from this reseller.duduks cost around 200 EU including 2 reeds. So they are not cheap, but for us living in Europe, it is cheaper than buying from fx. US due to the costum taxes.
You can also check this homesite out: www.dreamfullofzen.net to get a second opinion.

Best regards

Steen /hrimnir/ and on YouTube, check GEESMAILDK channel.
+Quote Post
KnightSquared
post Dec 21 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(hrimnir @ Dec 21 2010, 09:33 AM) *
The reseller you mentioned above, is quite reliabel, it is Mr. Vache Sharafyan, one of Armenians most famous contemporary composers. Beside this, he runs Mr. Gevorg Dabaghyans affairs, since Gevorg D. does not speak very good english.
The duduks are OK, and in exellent quality, so are the reeds. I can only recommend you to buy from this reseller.

Well that's fantastic news! Thank you for giving me such comforting advice, not often found on this chaotic internet. Especially with regards to Duduks, one must be very careful what they are buying.

I have a couple of beginner questions I'd hope you would answer.

1. How long does a reed last on average? With Saxophone reeds, if you play a couple of hours a day, you need to change them about once a week. But Duduk reeds are very expensive, I am hoping they last much longer.

2. I have read one of your articles on preparing a reed but am confused, can you explain this preparation more clearly? This article explains needing to change the composition of the reed before being playable, why do they not already come ready to use?

3. Can you explain a little about correct embouchure? I have played the sax and a bit of clarinet before, so am familiar with reed-type instruments, but the Duduk is quite different because all the reed is naked to the mouth. How is this played?

Many thanks for all your advice.

--------------------
Simon
+Quote Post
hrimnir
post Dec 21 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(KnightSquared @ Dec 21 2010, 04:42 PM) *

Well that's fantastic news! Thank you for giving me such comforting advice, not often found on this chaotic internet. Especially with regards to Duduks, one must be very careful what they are buying.

I have a couple of beginner questions I'd hope you would answer.

1. How long does a reed last on average? With Saxophone reeds, if you play a couple of hours a day, you need to change them about once a week. But Duduk reeds are very expensive, I am hoping they last much longer.

2. I have read one of your articles on preparing a reed but am confused, can you explain this preparation more clearly? This article explains needing to change the composition of the reed before being playable, why do they not already come ready to use?

3. Can you explain a little about correct embouchure? I have played the sax and a bit of clarinet before, so am familiar with reed-type instruments, but the Duduk is quite different because all the reed is naked to the mouth. How is this played?

Many thanks for all your advice.

Hi again

1: the reed can last long, several years, if they are allowed to dry out completely, after palying. Do not store them in any form of containers etc. I leave them on a shelf at room temperature, between playing.

2: the article you mentioned, is not written by me, so I can not valuate the content of it, but if you buy reeds from someone , who actually play the duduk, you will be better off, than buying from someone, who doŽnt play.
To be very frank: these you can trust after my expirience: duduk.com , araratmusiconline, ethnicinstuments.co.uk , Duduk.ca and Gevorg Dabaghyan, the rest can rest in peace.
3: the correct embrochure ? One thing is very different from playing sax. or clarinet, is the puffing of your cheeks, which is essential to reach the correct tone quality, and doŽnt use your tounge the emphasise a note.

A big help for everybody is this manual: Manual for duduk, by Georgy Minassov, 2.end edition with CD, currently for sale at : www.duduk.ca It is written in english,russian,and armenian and is edited by one of armenias great duduk players. 238 p. loaded with traditional music and rehearsals for duduk.

Best regards

Hrimnir/Steen

QUOTE(hrimnir @ Dec 21 2010, 07:42 PM) *

Hi again

1: the reed can last long, several years, if they are allowed to dry out completely, after palying. Do not store them in any form of containers etc. I leave them on a shelf at room temperature, between playing.

2: the article you mentioned, is not written by me, so I can not valuate the content of it, but if you buy reeds from someone , who actually play the duduk, you will be better off, than buying from someone, who doŽnt play.
To be very frank: these you can trust after my expirience: duduk.com , araratmusiconline, ethnicinstuments.co.uk , Duduk.ca and Gevorg Dabaghyan, the rest can rest in peace.
3: the correct embrochure ? One thing is very different from playing sax. or clarinet, is the puffing of your cheeks, which is essential to reach the correct tone quality, and doŽnt use your tounge the emphasise a note.

A big help for everybody is this manual: Manual for duduk, by Georgy Minassov, 2.end edition with CD, currently for sale at : www.duduk.ca It is written in english,russian,and armenian and is edited by one of armenias great duduk players. 238 p. loaded with traditional music and rehearsals for duduk.

Best regards

Hrimnir/Steen

+Quote Post
KnightSquared
post Dec 21 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #5

Thank you Steen.

Is it easy to remove a reed after playing and to insert again to begin?

To wet a reed before playing, how wet should it be?

--------------------
Simon
+Quote Post
hrimnir
post Dec 22 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(KnightSquared @ Dec 22 2010, 12:06 AM) *

Thank you Steen.

Is it easy to remove a reed after playing and to insert again to begin?

To wet a reed before playing, how wet should it be?

Hi again.

1: no problem

2: as little as possible

Steen
+Quote Post
KnightSquared
post Dec 23 2010, 04:58 PM
Post #7

I am considering buying a Duduk in the key of A. Now I am used to playing Low D Whistles and Bamboo saxes, so I am used to a stretch with the fingers, but just wanted your opinion on whether this size would be too awkward?

I am told it will be ok for a beginner, but just wanted a second opinion in case there was any misunderstanding.

I am adult and as I say have a relatively good stretch and also am pianist.

But obviously don't want to end up finding I have something as long as a didgereedoo!

I'd like a deep sound as opposed to a short high pitched Duduk. Is this an ok choice?

--------------------
Simon
+Quote Post
Duduk
post Dec 23 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #8

I have Lit My Candles
Group Icon

Group: Founder
Member No.: 2

Hello Simon

A duduk will the best to start, and we always recommend A duduk for any Adult beginner.

but if this is going to be your only duduk you can use a G duduk, it has a deeper "bass" like sound, but it's also bit harder to play at first.

look in to the charts and see what will work best for you in your situation.
http://www.duduk.com/chart/duduk%20fingering%20chart.htm

MOses

--------------------
...: † :...Powered by Apricot Juice ...: † :...
+Quote Post
KnightSquared
post Dec 23 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #9

I'm not sure I understand the chart.

Is the G Duduk just one tone down/deeper than the A or is it a further G than that?
If it is only going to be say an inch longer than an A, I will be able to manage it as long as it isn't as hard a stretch as a Low D Whistle.

Have you played a Low D whistle? Would you say the stretch on a G Duduk is easier or similar?

There are more holes than a whistle, I thought a Duduk had maximum 7 for the front and 1 for the thumb, but looking at some pictures they seem to have 8 holes front and 1 for thumb.

If I find 6 holes a stretch on a Low D whistle, I am not sure how well I will manage 8 holes on a Duduk.

I don't expect to have the money to buy another in future so should really get one to last me.

However am unsure about the stretch having not Duduk in England to try out first. But it might be ok. Can you advise here?

This post has been edited by KnightSquared: Dec 24 2010, 01:40 AM

--------------------
Simon
+Quote Post
Duduk
post Dec 24 2010, 01:57 AM
Post #10

I have Lit My Candles
Group Icon

G duduk is bit more longer then A duduk and has a deeper sound. D duduk is piccolo / it's shorter has bit more High pitch sound then the A

charts for G duduk

IPB Image

chart for D duduk

IPB Image

all of our duduk's have total of 10 holes. you play 9 of them all the time, 8 holes on top and 1 for thumb.
if you practice you can use the #10 key also, by pressing on to your abdomen / Belly or your knee. it will happen in time . no need to rush smile.gif

no need to rush in duduk smile.gif take baby steps.. get all the info you can from everyone. discus and apply one technique at the time .. but first get the basics.. find the best instrument to start . then you can add your collection. .

--------------------
+Quote Post
KnightSquared
post Dec 24 2010, 03:31 AM
Post #11

This guy says he is demonstrating a G Duduk...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvmeUnH_AQY

...is that about the size of a G Duduk?

That seems very hard. If HE is finding it difficult there is no way I will manage it.

I think then if this is really a G Duduk I would be better with the A Duduk.

This post has been edited by KnightSquared: Dec 24 2010, 03:31 AM

--------------------
Simon
+Quote Post
Duduk
post Dec 27 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #12

I have Lit My Candles
Group Icon

yes that looks like a G duduk

--------------------
+Quote Post
KnightSquared
post Feb 22 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(hrimnir @ Dec 21 2010, 06:43 PM) *
Do not store them in any form of containers etc. I leave them on a shelf at room temperature, between playing.

Hello.

1. You said not to store it in a container, but what about transportation and dust,creatures,bugs,bacteria? Surely a container is logical?
The one I just received from Gevorg Dabaghyan comes with a lovely little plastic tub complete with soft wool and holes in the lid. Should I not use this?

2. Also can you just quickly explain the embouchure? Is it basically the same technique as sax/clarinet but with puffing of cheeks? How much of my mouth should be over the reed?

This post has been edited by KnightSquared: Feb 22 2011, 01:31 PM

--------------------
Simon
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:36 AM

popOrange © 2005 Orange Pop Design, Skin by Chris Y