Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
left > What kind of glue for leather strip? seperator Options V right
papapaya
post May 13 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,202

The leather strip on one of my reeds is starting to come off, making an irritating sound when I play.
The loose part is not where the mouth goes, but still I'm sure there are plenty of good reasons to use a certain kind of glue.
Please help me with this smile.gif

Many thanks for good info in general.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Duduk
post May 13 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #2

I have Lit My Candles
Group Icon

Group: Founder
Member No.: 2

Hello
Welcome to Duduk forum

I can't gave you any specific name or brand suggestion, the glue that we use is made in USSR for medical filed use, has no name on it sad.gif
in any case find something that's not toxic even if the loose part is not where the lips go on..

sorry can't be much help to you at this moment, i hope one of our forum members can gave you more helpful info

Moses

--------------------
...: :...Powered by Apricot Juice ...: :...
+Quote Post
Lynx
post Nov 27 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,294

I recently used some Shoe Glue from a company called Henkel (the product name is Moment over here, dunno elsewhere). The important thing to note: NEVER use super/instant glue when working with leather since you may risk destroying it completely.

You should make sure the glue has a clay-like consistency. Don't use vast amounts since you have to make the leather strips as close to the wood as possible and if you use too much glue you're going to cover the reed with too much glue and it's going to be hard to remove it without smudging it all over the reed.

Hope this helps.

Another important note: do not push the bridle past the leather strips. You risk pulling them off with the bridle when you pull the bridle in it's original position. If your reed opens too much, you should massage your reed and take a break. Newer reeds will stop opening so much after some time.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 09:14 PM

popOrange © 2005 Orange Pop Design, Skin by Chris Y