Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
left > Oil choice for duduk care seperator Options V right
RonsMusic76
post Jan 21 2009, 05:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,177

To those who use walnut oil, have you noticed the wooden body becoming sticky or tacky when you pick it back up? It seems to go away right after I re-wipe it down with more walnut oil but that makes me wonder if the walnut oil is causing this? Other wooden instrument users I've spoken to recently mentioned that walnut oil can go rancid as well and that they encountered the same thing when they used it on their instruments.

Does anyone have a suggestion for another conditioning oil that does not have this issue and works well for the Duduk? I've heard un-toasted sesame oil might be an alternative but I don't know if it will have the same problems or is safe for the finish.

Also, possibly related: Is it normal for the wood stain around the finger holes to fade? I think my fingers or possibly the oil from my skin on my fingers is wearing away the stain around the holes. The wood where my fingers rest as I play has definitely grown lighter over time. Is there any way to prevent this or is it normal and I shouldn't worry about it?

Thanks for any advice you have!

--------------------
- Ron
========================
My music on Facebook
My videos on YouTube
========================
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hrimnir
post Jan 21 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,186

Hi Ron

It is a very good topic to discuss in this forum. I have the same expirience with the oil technic with walnuts, it is kind of sticky or what one will call it. I have turned to an oil, which is used for clarinets, an oil I have used in years for my clarinet. It is called marrow oil, It is colourless, and somehow very fat, but goes very well with the wood of clarinets. It do´snt smell very god when applied to the wood, but the smell does not stick to the instrument, apply a tiny amount, leave the instrument overnight and polish the day after. It will leave the wood oiled for a long period, but remember just the outside of the duduk. I have tried olive oil as well, it only looks good for 2 days.
The colour around the holes will fade over time, because of sweat and saliva. The apricot wood is from nature a quite light wood, almost yellow, as one can see in some photograps of duduks. The stain of walnut colour can be obtained from the green shell from the walnut, if you can come upon green walnuts it is easy to wipe a cloth with the shell an apply colour this way. I think it is better to accept the marks of use, than expiriment with stains obtained from a " colourshop " If one does that, be sure all the components is made from plants.

But there must be many other inputs to this topic from others, share your good advises with us all. Especially of what components the stain contains, this must be a subject DUDUK.com knows at lot about
Best regards Hrimnir
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:14 PM

popOrange © 2005 Orange Pop Design, Skin by Chris Y