Post #1

I have Lit My Candles
Group Icon

Group: Founder
Member No.: 2

AMERICAN LEARN PLAYING ARMENIAN DUDUK

IPB Image

[01:50 pm] 26 August, 2008

37-year-old musician John is known in the world as JHNO-the inventor of electronic music. He has been in Armenia since March of 2008. During an interview with A1+ he said he had come to learn playing duduk (Armenian national pipe).

“I first heard the tones of duduk in Martin Scorsese’s film “Passion of the Christ” which immediately appealed to me,” tells the musician.

Although the music is performed by Armenian duduk-player Vache Hovsepian John wasn’t keen on Armenian duduks at first.

“I bought a duduk from an organisation importing duduks from every corner of the world. But it was not an Armenian duduk, it was a Turkish one.”

At first the musician couldn’t play the instrument. As he says it is rather difficult to master the skills. “Duduk is a unique instrument. Though in comparison with a piano duduk is very small and has only a few holes it makes wonderful sounds”, says the American musician who has played the piano since the age of 4.

Then he moved to France and bought an Armenian duduk from an Armenian prominent duduk-player Ara Papikian. “He gave me lessons and taught me to breathe correctly using lungs and stomach. But even after taking lessons from a professional the American was unable to “subdue” the instrument.

“I finally realized that I must get acquainted with the homeland of duduk and breathe Armenian air and drink Armenian water to play the instrument.

Durink his visit to Armenia John went to Yerevan, Etchmiadzin, Dilijan, Vanadzor and Teghut. He says he is warmly welcomed everywhere. Armenians get surprised seeing a foreigner playing “Dle jaman” so well.

http://www.a1plus.am/en/?page=issue&iid=63455

--------------------
...: :...Powered by Apricot Juice ...: :...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RonsMusic76
post Aug 29 2008, 08:30 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,177

I wonder if the "organization" he's referring to is Mid-East Manufacturing? They seem to be the company (or one of them) at the root of all the American music websites and stores mistakenly selling Turkish Mey as Duduk.

--------------------
- Ron
========================
My music on Facebook
My videos on YouTube
========================
+Quote Post
delicateear
post Sep 10 2009, 04:44 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,102

QUOTE(RonsMusic76 @ Aug 29 2008, 10:30 PM) *

I wonder if the "organization" he's referring to is Mid-East Manufacturing? They seem to be the company (or one of them) at the root of all the American music websites and stores mistakenly selling Turkish Mey as Duduk.

actually the company was 'lark in the morning' - but this was a long time ago! (perhaps 1997).

now, lark in the morning sells some real armenian duduk and rhamish.

however, i think the best place on the internet to buy a duduk, at the moment, is duduk.com.

jhno

http://delicateear.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:05 AM

popOrange © 2005 Orange Pop Design, Skin by Chris Y