left logo_right

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
left > How to keep the reed open???, The reed keeps closing seperator Options V right
Goodha2
post Dec 21 2008, 06:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,192

Hi everybody,

I fiiinally have broken in my reed so i can get it to the optimum aperture and angle and get a truly beautiful sound. This requires me leaving it in my mouth for several minutes, at first i had to let it soak in water for a couple minutes but now the reed is fine just in my mouth.

But, once i get it to start playing correctly, after about 5 minutes of playing the reed dries up and closes to much to play correctly so i have to let it soak AGAIN in my mouth. This is soo frustrating because its keeping me from practicing, and I really need to practice.

How do i treat my reed so it stay open??? at least for longer periods of time?? is there some sort of reed with a metal band instead of a gamish? Please help ive had my duduk from duduk.com for several months now and im soo close to giving up its impossible to practice.

thanks so much!

-Spence
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Duduk
post Dec 21 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #2

I have Lit My Candles
Group Icon

Group: Founder
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Goodha2 @ Dec 21 2008, 06:08 PM) *

Hi everybody,

I fiiinally have broken in my reed so i can get it to the optimum aperture and angle and get a truly beautiful sound. This requires me leaving it in my mouth for several minutes, at first i had to let it soak in water for a couple minutes but now the reed is fine just in my mouth.

But, once i get it to start playing correctly, after about 5 minutes of playing the reed dries up and closes to much to play correctly so i have to let it soak AGAIN in my mouth. This is soo frustrating because its keeping me from practicing, and I really need to practice.

How do i treat my reed so it stay open??? at least for longer periods of time?? is there some sort of reed with a metal band instead of a gamish? Please help ive had my duduk from duduk.com for several months now and im soo close to giving up its impossible to practice.

thanks so much!

-Spence

HI Spence

#1 do as it's shows in this topic
http://www.duduk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113

#2 please don't soak in water !!!

#3 Ghamish is the reed it's self
The "band" bridle that you referring to you can be made by cutting a 1/4 of an aluminum tubing then you can bent to match your reed or some even use silver band/bridle, the problem w/ metal bands/bridles is that makes an buzzing sound.
also, if your planing to use the band to press the reed from it's side to open more or to open faster, you will brake your reed soon...

You can also trim the bend/bridle from inside, if it's making the reed to close,
But do this ONLY if your sure that it not letting your reed to open.
you can alleyways take out the band/bridle wan playing...

My suggestion is to take the band/bridle out, play it if you have no problem then play it like that till you need to use the band to adjust the opening

--------------------
...: :...Powered by Apricot Juice ...: :...
+Quote Post
hrimnir
post Dec 23 2008, 04:21 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,186

Hi Spence

I think your problem arises, because you soak it in water, this is very wrong, I have done this myself, and I can assure you,this will be the end of your reed soon.
1: when you will open it, it is very fine to use your saliva from your mouth on the tip, about 1-2 cm, or only let the tip of the reed in water, if it is a persisiting reed. when you then play, and make a pause, put the cap on, when you resume playing, wet the tip again, and then blow.

If you soak the reed as you described, then you cannnot control the pitch, the tones will be moving around, a C can be everything from A,Bb, B,C# etc. and the reed will when drying up when you play, try to get its shape back, or even close.

If you watch all these famous duduk players on you tube,when it is a live recording, I think you will notice, that they wet the tip, when there has been a pause, see : YouTube :Roman Miroshnichenko plays in Djivan Gasparyan's Concert. A longer pause. the cap on.
best regards Hrimnir

This post has been edited by hrimnir: Dec 23 2008, 11:47 PM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:25 AM

popOrange © 2005 Orange Pop Design, Skin by Chris Y